Former Adidas Senior Design Director Chris Law shares his experience in the sneaker industry, and how an understanding of culture and creativity has been crucial to his role. Through projects developed over 20 years, Law shares the design tools that have helped him create original and much-loved products and brands. As he says about sneaker design: “It’s about being more of a craftsman and working on a trade.”
● From enthusiast to company, how Crooked Tongue was the way to engage with Adidas, a community and to be a creative platform.
● Sneakers: The Complete Collectors’ Guide book
● Commercial realities against one-off projects – the mass market versus OByO
● Sharpened creative skills through an understanding of colour, materials construction but also culture and commercial production and realities.
● Customization through “adicolor” e.g. SS35 (Superstar 35th) project.