- Applicants must originate from one of the 22 Arab countries, or be based in one of the 22 Arab countries for a minimum of 10 years (Algeria, Bahrain, Comoros, Djibouti, Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Mauritania, Morocco, Oman, Palestine, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Somalia, Syria, Sudan, Tunisia, UAE, and Yemen).
- Applicants must be over the age of 18.
- Applications are accepted from individual artists as well as collectives and are limited to one artwork proposal per artist / collective.
- The proposal should be of a new, original work, exclusive to Ithra.
- Proposals should not be part of an existing series of work (same idea, concept and methodology).
- Applicants must submit all mandatory documents on the online application form.
- If any of these criteria is not met, the application will not be eligible.
Guidelines and Requirements:
- The artwork must be sustainable and not ephemeral as it will be displayed several times.
- The work must be able to fit into crates and be transported to and reinstalled at Ithra, where it will become part of the permanent collection.
- The project should not exceed SAR 375,000 ($100,000). Applicants must include a detailed budget breakdown including; research, travels, production, shipping, insurance and project management.
- Applicants must include a production timeline from the point of conceptualizing and research to the delivery of the artwork to Ad-Diriyah Biennale in Riyadh. The production timeline should include any travel and research required, as well as details of the production, and shipping.
- The proposal must be in line with the size (4 x 2.5m) and weight restrictions (500kg per square meter).
- The winning artist or collective must produce and deliver the artwork in time for its revelation at Ad-Diriyah Biennale, which will take place in December 2021.
- Selected artwork must be completed and shipped to Riyadh and then to Dhahran, Saudi Arabia.
- Launch of the open call for submissions – June 16, 2021
- Close of Submission Process - August 21, 2021
- Jury Meeting at Ithra – August 25, 2021
- Announcement of the winner – August 30, 2021
- Artist produces the artwork from September 1 until November 25, 2021
- Artists sends the work to Riyadh on November 26, 2021
- Unveiling of the artwork at Ad-Diriyah Biennale on December 7, 2021